Monday, January 24, 2022

Coffee Mug Gift Box!

I'm on the  CutCardStock Blog today!





This project could easily be incorporated into a Valentine or given to someone ‘just because’.  The mug can easily be filled with candy or other small sized gifts.  When created the mug is 5 inches tall and 4 1/2 inches in diameter.  This 3D project was cut out using my Silhouette Cameo machine and all cut pieces are shown below.

Starting with the mug’s saucer the pieces were cut using Curious Metallic Card Stock Poison Ivory  It’s an open circle and you attach the ends to create a saucer with an upturned edge.  To give the saucer a little detail I used Discount Cardstock Canvas Habanero and Stardream Metallic Card Stock in Rose Quartz for edging.  I found that using a fine tipped liquid glue worked the best for attaching the saucer edge detail.  For securing the saucer piece together and for the base I used double sided tape to be sure it was completely secure.

For the coffee, which fits into the mug and creates the top of the box, I used Discount Card Stock Ginger Snap and for the top heart embellishment I used Discount Cardstock Canvas Habanero. The steam was made using Curious Metallic Card Stock Poison Ivory.  Following the fold lines I used a liquid glue for the coffee base.  Using the extra coffee top piece that has seams I put the heart and the steam in and then glued that to the base coffee top. 

Creating the actual cup wasn’t hard and I loved how it looked when made with  Curious Metallic Card Stock Poison Ivory.  You just crease the fold lines and add an adhesive to hold the side seams together.  Again, I went for double sided tape for a quick and easy hold.  I did use liquid glue to secure the bottom of the cup on.

The handle cut outs looked odd, but they worked fine.  You actually need to connect the top portion of the handles together which I did with double sided tape.  Then the one handle slipped into the pre cut tabs on the cup.

Creating the embellishments for the finished mug was the last step.  I cut strips of leaves in different greens, Curious Metallic Card Stock Lime and Discount Cardstock Galax Olive Green. Using double sided tape I attached two opposite color leaf strips being sure to leave leaves overlaping.  Making two of these floral strips made the perfect size to circle the top of the mug.   Before attaching them I did add little flowers cut from Discount Cardstock Canvas Habanero and Stardream Metallic Card Stock in Rose Quartz


When the project was completed it was very sturdy thanks to the quality of CutCardStock’s cardstock.  I plan to make more of these and fill them with candies to give to co-workers.  Everyone likes a little coffee and chocolate surprise!



 

1 comment :